Friday, March 19, 2010

Welcome Spring!


Spring is generally my busiest time of year--so I can definitely say spring is in the air. Phone calls have increased and yesterday I diagnosed a very cool case of crown gall on a euonymus. I say cool because I have a plant pathology background and we find weird things on plants cool. In reality it is a bacteria that makes this brainy gall on the plant, is highly infectious to other plants, and can only be destroyed effectively by burning what you prune off. Never fear, it won't kill your plants immediately and only effects certain types of plants. However, there is not a lot you can do other than prune out infected material, sanitize your clippers with alcohol, and burn the cuttings. The picture is from Ohio State University Extension--I still say it looks cool.


Here's my second question--is anyone out there reading this??? I'll keep writing until I hear....


1 comment:

Betsyanne (E Sheppard) said...

I have not seen this on my trees yet, but I might have seen this in a forest before. (The gall) but I think I have seen a picture of one before in a book too.

Now I will be looking for them and will know what to do if I find one.

Hopefully I won't see one though.